A key focus for BSWRICS is to increase the capacity of multidisciplinary care across the Barwon South West region. Multidisciplinary care focuses on continuity of care, development of appropriate referral networks, and pathways for treatment and care.
- Improved treatment planning
- Improved communication and support between treating teams
- Identification of emotional needs of patients
- Improved coordination of services
- Increased opportunities for recruitment to clinical trials
- Reduction in service duplication
Multidisciplinary Cancer Care Meetings (MDMs) are regularly held across the region for a number of tumour streams. These meetings support a team approach to treatment planning and ongoing care for newly diagnosed cancer patients as well as those requiring treatment plan reviews or palliative care.
De-identified information is used for auditing and evaluation of multidisciplinary meetings as a part of our commitment to continuous quality improvement Victorian Cancer Performance Indicators.
Clinicians requiring further information on the MDM program please email or phone (03) 4215 0462.